This is an oldie, but goodie. Can you really beat a good sugar cookie? No, I didn’t think so. All soft and crumbly with a sweet sugar glaze. Yummy…ok anyway..back to the recipe. I really wish I knew where I got this recipe from so I could give proper credit. Unfortunately, it is one I jotted down on an index card over 10 years ago and have been using ever since. So whoever the creator is Thank You. These are great plain or with a powdered sugar glaze. If you are really feeling in the mood, they also take to royal icing decorations well.
1 cup butter (I never said they were healthy)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter (softened)
1 tbsp. milk
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar together. Beat eggs and vanilla into creamed mixture.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir flour into butter mixture 1 cup at a time.
- Chill for 3-4 hours (Sometimes I will pre-make this dough and freeze it in a log to create my own slice and bake cookies)
- Roll out and form as desired. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
- For icing: blend butter and powdered sugar.
- Add milk and vanilla mixing until smooth. If you want to add food coloring do so in this step. You can also add sprinkles, sanding sugar or dragees before icing sets.