I found this recipe when I was looking for something to do with all the apples I kept buying. I love apples and kept overbuying them in the hopes that someone else besides me would eat them. Instead they would go bad faster then I could cook them up. I tried making apple crisp, but I was also the only one eating that. Since I hate wasting food, I figured I would give this recipe a try. It had a long shelf life and was great to pretty up with some ribbon as a gift for others. Plus, it was yummy on toast. To me this is fall in a jar.
Recipe from The Lady Behind the Curtain
- Fill Large slow cooker with 3 lbs of peeled, cored and sliced apples
- Add 3 cups of granulated sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp each allspice and cloves, pinch of salt
- Mix to combine then ad 3/4 cup of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 11 hours
- Let cool. Remove apple and place in blender. Puree. If it is to think add some of he slow cooker liquid until you get it to the right consistency. Store in 3 half pint mason jars.